Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Happy Fall!

My kids were sick with the stomach flu this weekend, so we had a pretty mellow few days--perfect for finishing up some crafts!

I saw this tutorial and made these cute pumpkins for my kitchen table. I have to admit that my impatience led me to omit the little bag of sand at the bottom of the pumpkins, but they still work for my purpose. They were so fast and fun! And I just made them out of scraps of stuff I had at home already. Jason later handed me a plaid shirt of his that has a hole in it and my first thought--that would make cute pumpkins! I think I am obsessed!

We also finished up my scarecrows. I wanted to make them last year, but never got around to it. I saved old clothes from my kids and made 3 scarecrows--one for each child. My face painting skills need some work, but I think they turned out ok.

I made a "t" out of old lumber my husband had laying around and them dressed and stuffed the "t". The faces were made from an old curtain panel I had laying around and the hats came from the dollar store. Score! While I was proud of my thriftiness, my poor husband had a heck of a time trying to get the darn things to stand. The wood I used was so old that screws and nails just split it and the epoxy he tried using to put the stakes on stuck to the stakes, but just peeled the old wood away. Finally he resorted to electrical tape. Not the best looking, but whatever works!!

1 comment:

Michael + Rena said...

I love 'em!! I wanted to make one this year and put it on my deck on a bale of straw with some pumpkins...but I just can't find the energy. Next year!!